background wallpaper

Monday, January 20, 2014

My cage gets a kitchen!!

Three piggy piggies in a 2x4 cage gets stinky fast.  The solution? A disposable pellet kitchen! I started out using feline pine (original formula NEVER the clumping kind) because it was faster to order on Amazon than it was to go out to the feed store and get horse stall pellets.  At 18.95 for a 40lb bag it was worth it to have it delivered to my door.  In my opinion there is nothing better for odor control than disposable pellets.  If you like the scent of pine wood then pellets are awesome. If not then consider paper pellets like yesterdays news, I've never personally tried them but I hear good things.  I am not a fan of Carefresh. I know lots of people like them but Im not one of them. I find them messy and quick to get stinky, especially if you use them for just a kitchen area, the pigs will track a lot of the mess onto the fleece. It still happens with the pellets, since those break down into sawdust when they get peed on but I'd still rather clean up sawdust than extra pee and poop on the fleece.  One day when I get brave I will show you the cage after just 24 hours of pooping piggies.

 To encourage my pigs to use the kitchen I hung some fleece forest in the kitchen using my patio supports. It works well and since their food and water is in the kitchen area that is where my pigs congregated most when my cage was this configuration.

  Here is a photo of the cage with the lid closed, as you can see my patio is much lower than a second story loft. I did that so I wouldn't have an extended level jutting out of the top of the cage. My cage is next to my couches so I use the top of the cage for the occasional drink and to hold my TV remote.  Another after effect of expansion... my lid support bar is no longer long enough to support my lid!
The remedy?   Add more wonder bars from the cage store.
Also worth mentioning: Check out these awesome storage bins in my stand. 
They are also from the guinea pig cage store and come in a wide variety of colors. 
They are 2 grids deep and hold a whole lot of fleece!


No comments:

Post a Comment